The Problem with Conventional Website MP3 Players:
- Your fan presses ‘play’.
- They decide they’d like to browse some of your photos while they listen.
- They click on the link to the ‘Photos’ section.
- YOUR MUSIC STOPS!
This is because when your site loads another page, it also re-loads the code that plays your music.
Several approaches have been followed in the past to correct this:
- Frames – ugly and unpredictable plus the url in the browser will not update when you load a new page. This can be quite misleading for the user.
- Flash – yeah you can do pretty graphics but you don’t have the flexibility or speed of wordpress. Oh and it won’t work on your iPad…
- Separate pop-up window – reliable but ugly and a little confusing for the user.
At last there is a better solution…
With the TFM Player HTML5 music player:
- Playback continues as the user browses between pages on your site.
- Your urls always match the page you’re actually on.
- Fully HTML5 enabled with Flash fallback (ie it works on practically anything)
- Simple system in your wordpress dashboard to organize artists, albums and songs.
- Simple shortcode system to display them.
- Customizable play/pause/download buttons.
- Totally 100% free open source so you don’t need to be dependent on someone elses’ service.
To try it, press Listen then go browsing the rest of this site. Play some music, switch pages, read some, play some other music, switch pages again…
You can also browse a couple of other sites I developed with similar technologies. They both have some features the plugin doesn’t have but lack one or two of the plugins’ features. It’s all a work in progress…
- My own music site http://phoeniximago.com has a separate menu system that updates if there’s a change but not if there isn’t. This means the browser only needs to update a small area of the page with AJAX.
- My record label’s site http://abstractsun.com features a shop based on a customized version of the great open source ‘duka-press’ plugin. You can buy tracks and beats here from the same shop! No ajax music playing here yet though…
When you’re convinced, read the ‘Instructions” and download the plugin for free!
Features I’m working on:
- Speed increases on the AJAX
- Social media widget (currently the plugin squashes conventional social media widgets…)
- Youtube support (so player stops when you play a youtube vid)
- Jukebox (that displays what’s currently playing)
And a bit further down the road:
- Shopping cart
- Membership system
- Beat selling plugin
Keep making that amazing music,